Community Service Federal Work-study Program

The Community Service Federal Work-study Program matches nonprofit organizations with Bucknell's work-study eligible students. Student employees are paid from federal grant money and are able to work at specified tasks within your organization, as long as the position benefits local residents or the public good.

On Bucknell's campus, this program is co-administered by the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Civic Engagement, which encourage local nonprofit agencies and institutions to design and submit descriptions of jobs that Bucknell students could do for them under the agency's management and supervision. Typically, these positions call for no more than 10 hours of work per student per week, but this amount is negotiable between the individual student and the agency. 

Employment Dates for 2022-23:

Monday, Aug. 22, 2022 – Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Off-campus federal work-study jobs with local agencies or nonprofit organizations must be in the public interest. To the maximum extent practicable, the Office of Civic Engagement tries to provide jobs that complement and reinforce each recipient's educational program or career goals.

Note: The work-study program is limited to U.S. citizens.

How to Apply

  1. Find a job that interests you on Bison@Work.
  2. Submit your application through Bison@Work and include your current resume and class schedule.
  3. Keep in mind that, to be hired, you will need documentation to enroll in payroll. Certain positions, especially those working with minors, may require clearances.

Learn about the documentation you will need

Hiring Process

  1. Once you've applied, your application package will be forwarded to the agency. A supervisor from the agency will contact you to conduct an interview if qualified.
  2. If hired, you will complete an electronic employment agreement with the Office of Civic Engagement and the agency.
  3. Your information will be submitted through Workday and you will then be contacted by Student Employment to complete your employment documentation.
  4. Throughout your employment, you must submit your time in Workday and complete a paper timesheet to be signed by your supervisor and then dropped off at the Office of Civic Engagement.

For questions or concerns please contact:

Office of Financial Aid

Office of Civic Engagement

Contact Details

Civic Engagement


119 Bertrand Library