Community Service Federal Work-study Program

The Community Service Federal Work-study Program matches nonprofit organizations with Bucknell's work-study eligible students. Student employees are paid from federal grant money and are able to work at specified tasks within your organization, as long as the position benefits local residents or the public good.

On Bucknell's campus, this program is co-administered by the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Civic Engagement, which encourage local nonprofit agencies and institutions to design and submit descriptions of jobs that Bucknell students could do for them under the agency's management and supervision. Typically, these positions call for no more than 10 hours of work per student per week, but this amount is negotiable between the individual student and the agency. 

Employment dates for 2021-22: Monday, Aug. 23, 2021 - Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Off-campus federal work-study jobs with local agencies or nonprofit organizations must be in the public interest. To the maximum extent practicable, the Office of Civic Engagement tries to provide jobs that complement and reinforce each recipient's educational program or career goals.

Note: The work-study program is limited to U.S. citizens.

How to Apply

  1. Find a job that interests you on Handshake.
  2. Contact the Office of Civic Engagement to set up a 15-minute appointment to verify eligibility or talk about the requirements for the position.
  3. Obtain the employer's contact information. Keep in mind that, to be hired, you will need documentation to enroll in payroll. 

Learn about the documentation you will need

Hiring Process

  1. After obtaining the employer's contact information, set up an interview meeting. 
  2. If hired, stop by the Office of Civic Engagement to obtain an Employment Form and have the employer fill it out completely. 
  3. Return the form and signed contract to the Office of Civic Engagement for processing. 
  4. Fill out a W-9, I-9 and Direct Deposit Authorization Form, all of which can be found on the Payroll page in myBucknell.
  5. Submit these forms to Payroll.

For questions or concerns please contact:

Office of Financial Aid 

Office of Civic Engagement 

Things you should know about federal work-study (pdf)

Contact Details

Civic Engagement


119 Bertrand Library