F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is issued for full-time study in the U.S. In order to apply for the F-1 visa, prospective students must receive a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, Form I-20. International Student & Scholar Services will contact you when we begin working on your I-20 to review and confirm your mailing address and ability to fund [at least] one year of study in the U.S.

Confidential Statement of Finance

Showing Financial Support

The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), a U.S. Government agency, requires all colleges and universities to verify that international students have the financial support to cover their expenses while studying in the United States. Bucknell uses the Confidential Statement of Finances for International Students, which is a form that you must complete along with your application.

Before we can issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019) Bucknell must have the completed form and accompanying evidence. Without a properly completed form and attachments, your visa documentation will be delayed.

To complete the information on this form, you must document your ability to pay for all educational and living expenses by attaching an original bank statement from your family's bank showing in U.S. dollars the amount of money available to finance your Bucknell education. If a relative, government or other sponsoring agency is providing financial support, a notarized affidavit guaranteeing support must be submitted.

Understanding the Financial Guarantee

Questions often arise about the financial guarantee required for admission of international students to Bucknell University. The Finance Office has provided clarification of these requirements and the calculations that go into establishing the actual figures.

Applying for Your F-1 Visa

  1. Send Bucknell your enrollment deposit of $500. This will hold your place in the class while immigration forms are issued. You will see this payment listed on your billing invoice as a credit.
  2. We send you the I-20 document. Once your deposit has been received and processed by Bucknell, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services and Bucknell's Office of International Student & Scholar Services will generate your I-20 document — required in order to apply for an F-1 visa. It will be mailed to you with other University materials preparing you for the start of classes. The I-20 lists the school you will be attending, the level and field of study, and the beginning and expected completion dates of study.
  3. Update your passport (if needed). Make sure that your passport is up-to-date and renew it if it will expire within the next six months.
  4. Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee of $350. This is a fee that all F-1 and J-1 visa applicants must pay before they attend their visa interview. Instructions on how to pay the fee will be included with your I-20 form. You must have your I-20 form, which contains your SEVIS identification number, before you can pay this fee.

    Read more about the I-901 fee
  5. Schedule your visa interview. If you are not sure if you need an appointment or what the procedures will be, please check the U.S. consulate instructions for your home country or the country in which you plan to attend your visa interview. Scheduling may take a long time in some areas, so make your appointment early. You can find information about U.S. embassies and consular sections at the U.S. State Department website.
  6. Begin making your travel arrangements. Some airlines will make advanced reservations without issuing your ticket.

    Find transportation from airports to Bucknell
  7. Register to attend International Student Orientation. This orientation is mandatory for all international students attending Bucknell on an F-1 visa.

    Register to attend International Student Orientation

Contact Details

International Student & Scholar Services


08:30 a.m. - 04:30 p.m.