Physics & Astronomy
Bachelor of Arts in Physics
Bachelor of Science in Physics
Bachelor of Science in Biophysics
Bachelor of Science in Physics with a Concentration in Astrophysics
In Bucknell's nationally recognized physics & astronomy program, you'll explore the universe with professors who've discovered new planets and can measure the noise made by an atom — and who care deeply about your development. You can then investigate further through independent research, and share your discoveries at international conferences — making contributions that improve our understanding of the world around us and the cosmos beyond. Along the way, you'll learn job skills employers value. Our graduates go on to careers as scientists, researchers and medical physicists, or in broader fields including law, medicine and industrial science.
Major & Minor Options
The Department of Physics & Astronomy offers four distinct bachelor's degree programs, plus a minor:
- An eight-course bachelor of arts in physics
- A 13-course bachelor of science in physics
- A bachelor of science in biophysics
- A bachelor of science in physics with a concentration in astrophysics
- A four-course minor in physics
Astronomy is integrated within the physics curriculum — it's not a separate degree program — and is accessible to majors and non-majors alike. Physics majors may concentrate in a variety of subfields, including:
- Electricity and magnetism
- Quantum mechanics
The biophysics major connects fundamental physics principles with biological processes, preparing students for careers in medical physics or research, as well as medical school.
Tools to Explore the Universe
Our students have access to a suite of precision research equipment, including:
- An on-campus observatory with computer controlled optical telescopes, electronic imaging capability, optical spectrographs and a radio telescope.
- A laser laboratory for optics and atomic physics experiments.
- A positron annihilation facility for the study of lifetimes of antimatter.
Go Beyond the Classroom
The Department of Physics & Astronomy hosts frequent events throughout the year, including our weekly Physics & Astronomy Coffee Talks series and a seminar series with Bucknell professors and guest speakers.
STEM majors at Bucknell can earn Pennsylvania state teaching certification in a variety of fields, including biology, chemistry, physics and math.
Physics & Astronomy
153 Olin Science Bldg.