Work Orders

Complete a work order for help with repairs and basic alterations to your office, room or building.

Facilities can help you with broken windows, hanging pictures, leaking pipes, room painting, key replacement, electrical outlet issues, heat or air conditioning turned adjustments, custodial services and similar issues.

More extensive facility renovation work should be requested through the appropriate dean or vice president's office and coordinated with Facilities.

Students, faculty and staff can request work in their rooms, offices and buildings by submitting a work order online through the Facilities work order system, TMA.

You can access the work order system by going to:

myBucknell → Forms & Policies → Facilities → Work Order Request

If you would like to provide more detailed information about your work order or attach pictures, email the Facilities office:

You will receive confirmation that your work request has been received and recorded, along with the assigned work request number. Please refer to that number when inquiring about the status of a particular work request.

Urgent Repairs

Work requests that require more immediate attention, such as leaks, overflowing toilets or safety issues should be reported by phone immediately.

During normal business hours:
7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Evenings and weekends:
Call the University switchboard (570-577-2000) or Public Safety (570-577-3333).

Key Requests

Requests for keys must be submitted using the key request form found here:

MyBucknell → Forms & Policies → Facilities → Key Request Form

Contact Details



07:00 a.m. - 04:30 p.m.