For the Environment
- Recycling reduces our reliance on landfills and incinerators.
- Recycling conserves our natural resources because it reduces the need for raw materials.
- Recycling can protect our health and environment when harmful substances are removed from the waste stream.
For the Economy
- The recycling industry employs 1.25 million people, while solid waste only supports 0.25 million people, and this is with only a 34% recycling rate. Increased recycling rates mean more jobs.
For Bucknell University
- BU has diverted over 4,148 tons of waste from being sent to landfills in the last decade. At $51.90/ton in tipping fees at the landfill, that is $215,281 in cost avoidance.
- BU also receives revenue from the sale of recoverable resources.