Develop creative problem-solving skills that will help you make an impact on the world at the Bucknell Academy Summer Experience (BASE).
At Bucknell, faculty and students from across academic areas share expertise to find innovative solutions to pressing issues. As a BASE participant, you could join them to work on questions like:
How can environmental engineers and global managers work together to create clean water technology and make it accessible to people around the world?
What perspectives do performing artists bring to the work of biomedical engineers as they develop prosthetics for actors or musicians?
June 23 - 27, 2019
Eligibility: High school students who will be rising juniors or seniors are welcome to apply. We are looking for applicants with a strong academic record, who enjoy collaborating and leading, and have a genuine interest in the liberal arts and creative problem solving.
Application: Applications are due April 20.
Notification: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be notified no later than May 23 if they have been accepted to the program.
Fees: $1,000 which includes housing, meals and learning materials. A limited number of applicants may receive financial aid based upon need. Applicants interested in aid should ask their school counselor to write a letter attesting to the student's need. Please send questions to BASE@bucknell.edu.
As a BASE participant, you will:
- Attend classes led by faculty from a variety of departments
- Learn to consider similar ideas from different academic perspectives
- Collaborate and present your ideas
- Connect with Bucknell faculty, staff and current students
- Stay in a campus residence hall and eat meals in the dining hall
A Typical Day at BASE
Our days will generally begin at 8 a.m. and end by 10 p.m. Your schedule may include a faculty or an alumni speaker, group discussions, reflection, presentations, college advice, and (fun) opportunities to get to know our campus, our community and other BASE participants.
- 7:30 a.m. — Wake-up
- 8 - 8:45 a.m. — Breakfast
- 8:50 - 10:10 a.m. — Class with faculty member
- 10:15 - 11 a.m. — Group discussion/Reflection Time
- 11 a.m. - noon — Work on group presentation
- noon - 1 p.m. — Lunch
- 1 - 2:30 p.m. — Keynote Speaker
- 2:30 - 4 p.m. — Class with faculty
- 4 - 4:30 p.m. — Journal Reflect
- 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. — Downtime
- 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. — Dinner
- 7 - 8:30 p.m. — Fun activities
- 8:30 - 10 p.m. — Board Games/ Hangout
- 10:15 p.m. — Bed