Bucknell Antihazing Policy
Hazing: Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly, for the purpose of initiating, admitting or affiliating a student into or with an organization, or for the purpose of continuing or enhancing a student's membership or status in an organization, causing, coercing or forcing a student to do any of the following, regardless of whether such conduct occurs on or off campus:
- Violate Federal or State criminal law.
- Consume any food, liquid, alcoholic liquid, drug or other substance which subjects the student to a risk of emotional or physical harm.
- Endure brutality of a physical nature, including whipping, beating, branding, calisthenics or exposure to the elements.
- Endure brutality of a mental nature, including actively adversely affecting the mental health or dignity of the individual, sleep deprivation, exclusion from social contact or conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment.
- Endure brutality of a sexual nature.
- Endure any other activity that creates a reasonable likelihood of bodily injury to the student.
It shall not be a defense to a charge of hazing that the student consented to the conduct in question.
Bodily Injury: Impairment of physical condition or substantial pain.
Procedures and Sanctions
Hazing constitutes prohibited conduct under the Bucknell University Student Code of Conduct. The procedures for disposition of and sanctions for hazing are as set forth in the Code of Conduct. The investigation, determination of responsibility and sanctioning of varsity athletic teams may be handled by the Dean of Students Office, in consultation with the Department of Athletics & Recreation, outside of the Code of Conduct.
Individuals may report hazing by contacting any of the following:
Anonymous reports of Hazing can be submitted online.
In the event of an emergency, please contact Public Safety at 570-577-1111.
Hazing is a crime under Pennsylvania law and may be investigated and prosecuted as such, regardless of whether or not an individual or organization is found responsible for hazing in accordance with this policy.
Biannual Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law Report
View Bucknell University's Biannual Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law Report (PDF)
The information below was complied from online sources stophazing.org and hazingprevention.org.